Thursday, February 12, 2004

An Odd Friday Five



And sometimes questions are more interesting than answers.

1. Are you superstitious? Define superstitious. I fear no ladders, broken mirrors, 13th numbered days nor even the ides of certain Spring months. I have black cats for neighbors. I make my living by moving through the shadows of belief, mythology, and folklore, and on occasion add to both the total sum of knowledge and ignorance. Yet I do believe in karma that, in some odd way, good things that I do will come back to aid me and bad things I do (even bad thoughts) will come back to nosh on my hindquarters.

2. What extremes have you heard of someone going to in the name of superstition? In college I would set up the dice on my desk to their highest numbers face-up before a test. It didn't help.

3. Believer or not, what's your favorite superstition? Throwing salt over your shoulder should you spill it. I have done it automatically for years.

4. Do you believe in luck? If yes, do you have a lucky number/article of clothing/ritual? In my experience, there is no such thing as luck. Actually, I do believe in luck, but it is not vested in any particular number, clothing, or ritual. Or so I say - when I go to a convention, I always try to bring along a clip board that belongs to my father, and a name tag that was made for me 20 years ago that reads "TSR Hobbies".

5. Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not? I am a Virgo, so I'm not supposed to believe in such matters. Astrology is vague and provides guidance at best that the individual is supposed to adapt to their own situation. Yet, I once received a Tarot deck as a gift, after a breakup with a young woman. The first card I turned over was the three of swords, in the Waite-Rider deck as three blades piercing a heart. Make of that as you will.

So the question remains - am I superstitious?