Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I Become Employed, Yet Again

[Rocket J. Squirrel voice on]
That Trick Never Works!
[Rocket J. Squirrel voice off]

I've accepted a full-time position as a game designer for ArenaNet, makers of the Guild Wars game. The opportunity presented itself a couple weeks back, and after a solid (and long) interview, I was offered a position, I'm delighted to say I am returning to a more structured environment as a corporate creative. While I have enjoyed being my own man, regular paychecks are a definite "good thing".

This has all been a bit weird for me, in that I wasn't looking hard for a full-time gig, and have managed to survive nicely doing this freelance/consulting thing this time out. But as a result, I've been spending a lot of time over the past few days (and over the next few days as well) wrapping up outside commitments so I can concentrate on Guild Wars. I mentioned to one friend that I am facing this new challenge with a combination of excitement and mild dread, and he reminded me that this is how I confront MOST of the things in my life, so things should work out.

As with previous jobs, you probably won't be hearing a lot about what is going on, day-to-day, though I will mention when something is honest-to-gosh ready to see the light of day. I am continuing to work with Blue Byte on their project, along with my fiction, and will have a few things showing up over the next few months that I will mention.

And of course, I continue to relentlessly plug Dyvil, now submitted for the presitigious Origins Award!

More later,